Genesis of Asansol DioceseAsansol, the City of Brotherhood is situated 225 kms North- West of Calcutta. Predominantly a railway town, is situated among the factories and collieries. The work of Evangelization in this area was begun in the year 1870 by the Jesuit missionaries from Calcutta. To be more Precise as early as in 1866 Catholics were found working in the Raniganj and Jhamuria Coal fields. Fr. Jude Henry, S.J. organized catholic worship around Burdwan and Raniganj.
The Catholic Diocese of Asansol - TodayChristianity in this diocese can be traced back to 1870 when the Jesuit Missionaries reached Burdwan from Calcutta and to Asansol from Patna. The Catholic Diocese of Asansol was created out of the Districts of Burdwan, a part of Birbhum and a part of Bankura.